The most important home improvement project most people undertake is a roof replacement. This is especially true if your roof is in poor condition. While it may seem like an expensive project, putting it off will almost always result in a greater cost. A sub-standard roof may result in leaks that penetrate electrical wiring (possibly causing a fire), or even worse, structural failure.
An experienced roofing company in Adelaide like Roof & Render SA can install a new roof that will not only lift the appearance of your house, but also increase your home’s value. The best part is that it costs nothing to find out how much a quality roof costs. So, instead of worrying, use our handy guide to decide if it is the right time to replace your roof.
Should I replace, restore or repair my roof?
Before undertaking a roof replacement, you should consider whether your roof needs to be restored or repaired instead. Typically, roof repairs are the least expensive option and roof restorations can make your old roof look as good as new. A typical roof restoration includes cleaning, repairing and re-coating your roof. Read our handy roof restoration guide to find out if this is right for you.
Although you may save money by repairing your roof, if it’s time to replace your roof, the money spend on repairs is likely wasted. We recommend you only undertake roof restoration if your roof is worth saving. An experienced roofing contractor will let you know if roof restoration or replacement is needed.
- Most roofing services in South Australia charge for roof replacements on a square metre basis. This figure will include removal and disposal of your old roof.
- The rate you pay per square metre is also dependent on the height of your roof, the pitch of your roof, design of your roof, and roofing materials like asbestos, tile, metal, or Colorbond® steel.
- The cost to replace your roof can vary considerably depending on ease of access and whether guttering or insulation is to be done at the same.
- You may roughly calculate the cost of a roof replacement if you know the current value of your home. You may expect to pay between three (3) to six (6) percent of your home’s value.
Material factors also affect roof replacement costs. Let’s consider a three bedroom house for example:
- Concrete tiles usually cost between $80 – $120 per square metre
- It may cost between $15,000 to $30,000 to replace a metal roof with Colorbond® steel
- It may cost between $15,000 to $30,000 to replace a tiled roof with Colorbond® steel.
- It may cost between $20,000 to $40,000 to replace an asbestos roof with Colorbond® steel.
What other factors affect the final price?
Additional costs may influence structural work or removal of old roof materials. For example, you may notice that the cost of replacing an asbestos roof with Colorbond® steel is greater than the price of replacing a metal roof with Colorbond® steel. This is because asbestos roof removal requires additional safety precautions and will take longer to perform (for your safety and ours).
What questions should I ask before hiring a roofer?
Before working with any roofing companies in Adelaide, you should be happy with their answers to the following questions:
- Is your workmanship guaranteed?
- Does your roofing company have insurance to work in my home – including public liability insurance?
- Do you employ your tradespeople or rely on subcontractors?
- Do you hold all necessary licenses including a builders permit and an asbestos removal license?
- Do you have any referees?
- May I see examples of your previous work?
- Do you provide written quotes and itemised invoices?
Get a Roofing Quote
Since every roof is different, Roof & Render SA send out an experienced estimator who will come out, at a time that suits you, and provide a free quote that will tell you exactly how much it will cost to replace your roof.
Get in Touch
Have A Question?
GET IN TOUCH
5 QUESTIONS TO ASK